Friday, July 17, 2009

Jewelry that works for you

Have you heard of the jeweler's handshake? That's when someone reaches out to touch your necklace as part of saying hello. Where I work, it's an everyday occurrence. Not only is the building filled with the editorial teams for the three leading jewelry magazines, almost everyone from reception to accounting to shipping is hooked on the hobby in one way or another. Needless to say, I only wear jewelry to work that I've made myself, and I usually wear more jewelry to work than I do in other aspects of my life.
That is, until I get to my desk and start to work. Within minutes, I'm stripping off rings and bracelets so I can get comfortable at my keyboard. Because, although everything I do is about jewelry, knitting, or some other craft, it's all done electronically. I usually have a tidy, but sparkly, pile next to my computer.
Lately, I've been thinking about jewelry designs with the keyboard in mind. Here are a few of my favorites. They wear well, drape nicely, and most of all, they are unobtrusive when my wrists rest on the desk:
These traditional Byzantine chain mail bracelets are wardrobe essentials:


Find directions on how to make this one in Mostly Metals.



Directions for this one will be in the new book.
How about you? Do you accessorize for work, or do you find your accessories just get in the way?





No comments:

Post a Comment