Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Snowflakes inside and out

Well, I guess it's finally winter.


We've got snow outside, but just little flurries.


I've been busy beading snowflakes -- one for a special request, and then I just couldn't stop myself. Here are a few tips, if you want to make your own.
Buy the snowflake forms at a craft or beading store. They should be soldered together, but I heard from a customer who kept her snowflake out year-round that it ultimately came apart. This year I wired the middle together with very fine (26 gauge) wire before I added the beads.
Use very nice Czech glass beads or crystals. You don't have to go all-out for Swarovski (although I have before and they are really beautiful). Using nicer glass and crystals will make your ornament sparkle in the sunlight and give it life beyond the month of December.
The bead forms are made from very stiff wire. It's very difficult to turn the ends into perfect loops. Let gravity work on your side, not against you. Pick the top of your ornament. As you bead, turn all your loops up, so the small gap where the wires meet is toward the top. Then, if you choose to add dangles to the loops, gravity will help them stay in place.
Remember, don't use jewelry-grade cutters to trim the wires. You shouldn't have to trim at all, but if you do, make sure you have heavy-duty wire cutters.
This is a great activity to do with friends or kids, and it's a great way to use up your stray beads. Have fun and stay warm!

2 comments:

  1. They look gorgeous!
    Sorry I missed you over Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a nice visit. I know what it's like when you're trying to pack a lot of visiting into a little time!

    ReplyDelete