Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Love your mother

(Photo by Meredith Buckingham)
Today's the day to take a walk, recycle a can, hug a tree, plant a seed ...



My Earth Day 2008 resolution is to improve my recycling system to include throw-aways generated on the second floor of my house. OK, before you raise your eyebrows in dismay that I'm not recycling shampoo bottles, laundry detergent containers, and the cardboard boxes from new toothpaste and rush to judgement and say, "oh, puhleeze, bring it to the bin like you do everything else," just give me a break. I do a great job on the first floor ... milk jugs, newspapers, magazines, OJ cartons -- you name it. But, I've never nailed a system for upstairs and those items just get tossed. I feel pangs of guilt when I do it, and pangs of guilt now. But enough! I'll get this under control. I believe that every little thing you do counts, and is better than doing nothing, but most of us can't do everything. So these are my baby steps.


Does this post have anything to do with artful crafting? Not really, except I am inspired daily by the great outdoors and what Mother Nature brings me. While I've been pining for spring this year, I really delight in all the seasons and all that comes with them. I'm out walking about 350 days a year (Ok, some days it's a really short walk!) but I look up, look down and stop to smell the roses. Walking helps me sort things out. Nature helps with colors, textures, and patterns. So, today's my day to say "thanks!"

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I spent the past few days thinking, "I should do something about Earth Day," and didn't. So you're ahead of me! A lot of my upstairs recyclables don't get into the recycling bins either. I'd be curious to know if you've come up with a system that works!

    ReplyDelete