Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Inspiration

Many people make inspiration boards by cutting out words and images that represent their goals. I think it's a great idea, and I've always meant to make one. However, I never seem to have the time...





I got to thinking about it, though, and I've always had this board in my work area:
Some of these items have been in the exact same spot for more than two years, but it seems like I'm adding and removing a bit almost every day. Let me give you a tour:

I made the board from Martha Stewart's instructions. I've made more than 15 of these, in many shapes and sizes. This one has a navy blue background, so if I hang projects I can see them, but the trim matches the curtains from a previous house (haven't updated to the new house yet).

Top and center is my beautiful daughter. This is a self portrait she took 3 years ago. Working around to the right, clockwise we find:
- a photo that inspired the shrug project in Altered You!
- a button from my company's first marketing effort into the craft arena "we're craftier than you think" I think it's funny.
- a gold paper mache figure said daughter made to display jewelry for art class
- a card from the same daughter that says "I dreamed my whole house was clean" given to me in love and acknowledging the chaos we live with
- fabulous keys from my father in law's workbench
- shopping mall photo booth photos of my younger daughter and her best friend from nursery school
- polymer clay beads that I made
- photo business card of my fab realtor and friend that makes me smile when I see it
- some jewelry idea sketches and tear-outs, and photo of younger daughter with basketball
- cool colorful fish picture from Disney World that older daughter took
- a bracelet that's unwearable but I like the colors
- misc. business cards to prove I used to be someone
- misc. trade show badges -- see above
- a crocheted flower that my dog stole before it could go into Altered You!
- Fabulous sterling silver calling card case that belonged to a great aunt (it has a slot for a nickle and a dime -- bus fare, just in case. I love imagining her life)
- beaded cell phone leashes from Altered You!
- my grandmother's ultra stylish, ultra modern choker from Mexico, cir. 1975
and in the center:
- flea-market crochet piece that I intend to cut apart and remake into something some day
- various beaded projects that didn't really work out but produced great color combinations
- my class flier from 2005 just to remind me that I need to get my act back together and start teaching again.

Whew. Well, that's my whirlwind tour. I love all my little things, and look at them often. Can I say it's an inspiration board? I don't know. It's more like an archaeological collection. But, I'm keeping it.

3 comments:

  1. Loved the tour - that took courage.

    Now, I'll have to go have a look at my own "inspiration" areas and see if they are inspiring or not.

    Thanks for the motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked the cool, insteresting stuff you have around your house. I like the board. I've been thinking I need something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,
    These boards are so easy to make. You cover a sheet of homosote with batting and staple gun it to the back. Then you do the same with your fabric. Add two screw-eyes and a wire to hang across the back I recommend dabbing the screw eyes with glue first, for added stability. Then, you decorate the front with overlapping ribbons anchored with upholstery nails. You can slide things into the ribbons that you wouldn't want to pin up. I left the center of this one open, so I could hang working projects and see them better, but usually my ribbon grid covers the entire board.

    ReplyDelete