Tuesday, September 16, 2008

More Decorating Commentary

A few days ago I posted about planting at least a few flowers that coordinate with your interior colors so you'll have plenty of fresh flowers for your summer arrangements. My friend Lisa reminded me that it's equally important to plant coordinating flowers and shrubs within the view you have from various rooms. Again, it may seem like I'm stating the obvious, but it can make a huge difference. We're lucky to look out on trees from our family and living rooms. In the family room, I have my birdhouse collection sitting on the window sill that looks out to the bird feeders ... in the living room I've been using the evergreens in the view as my accent color, and will eventually paint the walls a soft green.


My friend Karen brilliantly executed this philosophy with a house she staged for selling. With the furniture moved out, the views dominate each room. She did a fabulous job with new paint colors in all the rooms to bring the outside colors in.

I guess this has been on my mind a lot, since I know the long, bleak Wisconsin winter is just around the corner. Hopefully we'll be working on the living room, so I'm looking at colors now, but will also look at them against the winter scape.

PS Do you watch Top Design? Wednesday is my Bravo night!

No comments:

Post a Comment