Friday, October 17, 2008

Bluebirds

As I looked up from rinsing my coffee cup this morning, I saw a flash of blue outside my kitchen window. I took a closer look through the binoculars, and it was a bluebird -- not a blue jay -- sitting in my shrub. Then, much to my surprise, there was a flurry of blue, and at least five bluebirds flew across my back yard. Some people can go a lifetime without seeing a bluebird up close ... for me, I've only seen them in the Spring or in the South (they nest in my mother-in-law's yard, and she hand feeds them).

Seeing the bluebirds instantly brightened my mood. It got me thinking of the other way we use this word -- a bluebird is an unexpected and pleasant surprise. So, happy Friday, and may the bluebirds come your way.

P.S. If you enjoy birds, please check out my friend Monette's watercolors! And, don't forget to keep your feeders full this winter.

4 comments:

  1. Bluebirds! Lucky you. I've seen them one time, on Christmas morning, here in Florida. I hope to see more in my life; they are so beautiful.

    Your mother is lovely and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I think they're special -- imagine showing up on Christmas morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the time I found binoculars in my house those birds would have been long gone. Do you just happen to have them lying around in case interesting birds wander by?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, given our view out the back, we keep them on the kitchen window sill. They were a housewarming gift from the woman we bought the house from. I've seen a few interesting things in the last 3 years, including a ring-tailed pheasant (not a native bird -- he was let loose for hunting season), many deer, a red-tailed hawk, a few interesting birds and a lot of common ones.

    ReplyDelete